Friday, December 18, 2009

My repy from Sherrod Brown concerning Bernanke confirmation - Friday, December 18, 2009

I recently wrote Sherrod Brown and George Voinovich about confirming Ben Bernanke to another term as Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board. I was nice, but told them, if in fact they voted for him, they lose my vote. I did get a reply from Mr. Brown, nothing from Mr. Voinovich as of yet. In the past when I wrote Mr. Voinavich, I never recieved a reply, so I don't really expect one. I do thank Mr. Brown for at least replying. Below is his reply. Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX: Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the nomination of Ben Bernanke to serve a second term as chairman of the Federal Reserve. I agree with you that a lack of oversight contributed to the financial and economic problems that have confronted the nation, and I have addressed those concerns to Chairman Bernanke in public and private. Regulators, including the Federal Reserve, did not do enough to promote the strong supervision of financial firms and protect the public from economic turmoil. As a member of the Senate Banking Committee, I am working to ensure that sufficient safeguards are in place to ensure that our financial system remains stable over time. I have emphasized to Chairman Bernanke that a culture change at the Federal Reserve, as well as an independent risk regulator and tough accountability measures, are necessary to prevent another economic crisis from gripping our country. You can be sure I will continue to work with the committee and with Chairman Bernanke to press for these changes. That being said, I believe the bold steps that Chairman Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Paulson took to prevent economic meltdown in the fall of 2008 forestalled an even worse financial crisis. He has demonstrated a willingness to put pragmatism before ideology and act decisively to protect the interests of the United States, and I recently voted in the Senate Banking Committee to approve the Chairman’s nomination to serve a second term. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as Chairman Bernanke’s nomination moves to the full Senate for consideration. Thank you again for getting in touch with me. Sincerely, Sherrod Brown United States Senator ***** All I have to say Mr. Brown is quite simple. You have lost my vote, and Ben Bernanke is a damn liar, which he has proven on multiple occasions, so why should I believe him now. Did he have a come to Jesus moment? I think not, unless of course, Jesus is a Wall Street banker. Simple enough?

No comments: